For more recipes please visit our Facebook page.
• 2 lbs. of peppered and salted flank steak, lightly pounded thinner
• 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
• 1 garlic clove, diced finely
• Cooking quality string
Stuffing: Your favorite recipe or mix is okay; sauté the onion and garlic for 10 minutes before mixing with the dressing.
Spoon the stuffing mix onto the flank steak, leaving about ¼ inch around each edge. Roll and tie with cooking quality string. Place a ½ cup of red wine and water in the bottom of a baking dish; add the flank steak roll. Bake in a 350 degree oven until well done.
Mexican Corn Salad
• 1 8oz. can corn nibblets
• 1 8oz. can black beans, rinse and drain
• 1 small red onion, diced
• 20 small red cherry-type tomatoes, whole
• ½ cup of jicama, peeled and diced
• 1 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
• ½ tablespoon of mild chile powder
• Pepper and salt to taste
Toss the prepared ingredients and your favorite olive oil and vinegar to taste. Serve on a bed of mixed greens from the Salinas Valley. Enjoy with a glass of J. McFarland, Santa Lucia Highlands Pinot Noir.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
• 3 small hard shelled acorn squash, or 6 mini pumpkins
• 12 ounces ground Italian pork sausage
• 1 whole egg (whisked)
• 1 cup course ground Italian seasoned bread crumbs
• 1 tbsp. minced fresh sage
• 1 tbsp. minced fresh Italian flat leaf parsley
• Salt and pepper to taste
If using acorn squash, cut each in ½. Slice a small portion off the bottom of each half so it stays flat. If using mini pumpkins, slice off the upper one-fourth of the pumpkin.
In a medium bowl mix the sausage, egg, bread crumbs, sage, parsley, pepper and salt. Mix well. Fill each acorn squash half or pumpkin with the stuffing mixture about ½ inch above the rim.
Place the quash or pumpkins on a baking sheet lined with good quality baking parchment. Bake approximately 35-40 minutes or until the filling is firm and begins to pull away from the sides and the squash or pumpkin shell are easily pierced with a knife.
Serve with nice crusty bread, a hunk of excellent Monterey County cheese and a glass of chilled J. McFarland, River Road Vineyard, Santa Lucia Highlands Riesling.